- Messaging Brief: Human Needs on the National Radar Screen
This brief from the National Human Services Assembly provides a great summary of framing messages effectively to support human services; includes worksheets.
- Video: "What's Your Elevator Speech?"
Youth workers give their best pitches telling viewers what their organization does to help youth -- and why viewers should support it. Thanks to National clearinghouse on Families and Youth.
- New Findings: Important Implications for Young People in Foster Care
Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative challenges policymakers and practitioners to implement new strategies to help young people in foster care succeed as independent adults. Recommendations include helping youth connect to families and develop age-appropriate skills and relationships.
- Test: Is this Young Person Fit for Trial?
A New Ohio law spells out standards for judging juveniles’ competency. The new law, House Bill 86, goes into effect on Sept. 30. (Hat tip to Youth Transition Funders Group)
- Real World Challenges in Technology Transfer and Implementation Science
Addiction Treatment and Technology Center of New England summarize some key issues, models, and processes in implementing evidence-based practices and programs with fidelity.
- Register for Summit: "Your City's Families"
The biennial National Summit on Your City's Families, the nation's largest gathering of municipal leaders who are working to improve the lives of children, youth and families in their communities will be held Nov. 10-12 in Phoenix, Arizona. Topics of the sessions include:
- Education from Early Childhood through College
- Afterschool and Out-of-School Time Programs
- Positive Engagement and Support of Immigrant Families
- Public Safety and Violence Prevention
- Reengagement Strategies for Disconnected Youth
- Health and Wellness Initiatives
- Poverty Reduction and Economic Self-Sufficiency
Lori Howell is a Senior Associate at Prichard Communications. She is a seasoned public affairs practitioner with a background in public policy, fundraising, and education. Lori helps clients with online editorial services, media relations, and publications. Before joining Prichard Communications, she served as chief of staff for Greg Macpherson, a former Oregon state legislator, an account executive for the Northwest Evaluation Association, a nonprofit educational testing consortium, and once taught English in Choshi, Japan.
Updated: February 08 2018