By Benjamin Chambers, January 10 2011
- 9 Ways to Support Someone with Depression
Tips to share with parents, caregivers, and youth.
- Submissions Wanted for Journal of Juvenile Justice
The Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) continues to seek manuscripts for its inaugural issues of the Journal of Juvenile Justice, due out later this year.
- Heavy Drinking Seriously Damages Teen Minds
Binge drinking may seem like a harmless rite of pasage for young people, but it's far from harmless. It can significantly damage the frontal lobe, the area of the brain responsible for social skills and understanding the consequences of one's behavior.
- Apply Now for State and Tribal Youth Suicide Prevention Grants
SAMHSA releases $45.9 million for up to 32 grantees. Priority populations include LGBT youth and American Indian/Alaska native youth.
- National Conference on Juvenile and Family Law
Held March 27-30, 2011, in Reno, NV, the conference will, according to the website, "feature innovations in programming and practice and provide new opportunities for courts and communities to improve outcomes for children, youth, families, and victims."
- California May Cut its Department of Juvenile Justice
Cash-starved California may take the extreme step of eliminating its juvenile justice department completely. (Hat tip to the National Council on Crime and Delinquency.)
- Who Cares about Aftercare for Juveniles?
This WBEZ radio clip profiles a young Illinois woman leaving secure detention who struggles in the absence of supportive services. (H/t to Lorenzo Kibler, participant in the Reclaiming Futures LinkedIn discussion group.)
Updated: February 08 2018