Beyond Scared Straight premieres its 3rd season tonight. While the show aims to scare troubled teens away from bad behavior, research has shown it's ineffective and damaging to kids. In fact, Scared Straight programs actually INCREASE the likelihood that teens will reoffend.
We've written quite a bit on (Beyond)Scared Straight in the past:
- Beyond "Scared Straight" -- Moving to Programs that Actually Work
- Scared Straight: Don't Believe the Hype
- "Scared Straight" Programs Are All Talk
- Less Scared Straight, More Talk Therapy
- "Beyond 'Scared Straight'" Program Incoherent According to Conflict Management Expert
- On "Scared Straight" -- From a Personal Experience
- What J. Edgar Hoover and Scared Straight Get Wrong About Juvenile Justice
Thanks to JJIE for the tip.
Liz Wu is a Digital Accounts Manager at Prichard Communications, where she oversees digital outreach for Reclaiming Futures and edits Reclaiming Futures Every Day. Before joining the Prichard team, Liz established the West Coast communications presence for the New America Foundation, where she managed all media relations, event planning and social media outreach for their 6 domestic policy programs. Liz received a B.A. in both Peace and Conflict Studies and German from the University of California at Berkeley. She tweets from @LizSF.
Updated: February 08 2018