Reclaiming Futures Montgomery County, Ohio
ContactMichelle White, Project Director
380 W. Second St.
Dayton, OH 45422
More than 6,000 young people were referred to Montgomery County Juvenile Court in 2008. Of these, more than half were in need of substance abuse and/or mental health treatment; more than 2,700 were girls; and 27 percent were under age 15. For the cost of locking up one person for one year, we can provide treatment for between three and 13 teens every year.
That is why at Reclaiming Futures-Montgomery County, we have improved the quality of alcohol and drug treatment services available to youth in our justice system by doing the following:
- Identified drug court youth and other teens who are either on probation or are first-time offenders abusing drugs and alcohol and have been arrested as a result
- Found new ways to meet their treatment needs and increase use of evidence based treatment
- Brought together professionals and families to create "success plans" for our youth
- Partnered youth with "natural helpers" who help them build healthy, drug-free identities, and get the job training and life skills they need to be successful
- Developed a computerized tracking system to ensure all youth are accounted for and receiving the services they need
Our Core Partners
- Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Services Board of Montgomery County
- City of Dayton, Parks, Recreation and Youth Services
- Montgomery County Commissioners
- Montgomery County Human Services Levy Council
- Montgomery County Juvenile Court
- Montgomery County Mentoring Collaborative
- Montgomery County Natural Helper Volunteers
- Samaritan Behavioral Healthcare Inc.
- United Way of Greater Dayton Area
Reclaiming Futures-Montgomery County was one of 10 founding sites funded by The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation between 2002 and 2007.
Reclaiming Futures Montgomery County put together a photographic retrospective of 2011. Take a look. »
Reclaiming Futures Montgomery County has been featured in numerous videos:
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's Promise Story video about Reclaiming Futures
- Reclaiming Futures Montgomery County, OH Local Video
- Taking It To the Streets: Citizens and Police in Action - a video series to discuss how citizens and police can work together to create safer communities.
- Reclaiming Futures Faith Outreach Video created with Mount Calvary Baptist Church (time: 6 minutes, size: 29mb)
- Montgomery County Juvenile Court/Reclaiming Futures Video
In 2006, Reclaiming Futures-Montgomery County surveyed citizens in their attitudes about youth in the juvenile justice system, juvenile crime, and treatment. The resulting survey indicated surprisingly strong support for youth treatment, and a willingness on the part of adults to mentor youth in trouble, especially those from their own neighborhoods. The site has relied on this survey to garner broad political and financial support. Download the full report on the survey here. »