OJJDP Pre-Conference Livecast: Reclaiming Futures and the Juvenile Drug Court
• Define and describe the increasing challenge of substance abuse (and other behavioral health issues) for juvenile offenders.
• Define and describe Reclaiming Futures as a standard of care to address this challenge.
• Begin the process of assessing readiness and preparing to retool local juvenile justice responses to substance abuse and delinquency.
• Take steps to assess community recovery capital and increase direct community engagement options at the local level.
Can't tune in for the whole thing? Here's our agenda:
8:30-9:00 -- Introduction (Susan Richardson, National Director of Reclaiming Futures)
9:00-9:15 -- Why reform is needed – Reclaiming Futures' history and purpose (Susan Richardson)
9:15-9:45 -- What's happening in your court? (The Honorable Anthony Capizzi, Reclaiming Futures Montgomery County)
How many youth in your courts have a substance abuse problem? What happens to them as a result of that, and how do you measure progress and/or success with those efforts?
9:45-10:30 -- Reclaiming Futures model (Dan Merrigan, Ed.D., M.P.H., Reclaiming Futures Leadership Consultant and Christa Myers, Project Director, Reclaiming Futures Hocking County)
10:30-10:45 -- Break
10:45-12:00 -- Reclaiming Futures as a particular kind of planned change (Dan Merrigan)
- Preparing: how to get ready (Mark Fulop, M.A., M.P.H., Grants and Partnership Development Director, Reclaiming Futures)
- Implementing: what the model involves; how leaders learn and work together to problem-solve along the way (Dan Merrigan)
- Renewing: what to do if you get stuck (Judge Capizzi)
- Sustaining: lasting changes implied/needed by the effort (Susan Richardson)
12:00-1:00 -- Lunch
1:00-2:30 -- Adolescent substance abuse 101 (Randy Muck, formerly of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA))
2:30-2:45 -- Break
2:45-3:30 -- Community engagement to reclaim young people 101 (Christa Myers and Mac Prichard, of Prichard Communications)
3:30-4:00 -- Investing in Reclaiming Futures – Overview of the state implementation model (Mark Fulop/Susan Richardson)
3:30-4:45 -- Integration and wrap up (Susan Richardson and Judge Capizzi)